Indiana University (the “University,” “Corporation,” or “IU”) was founded in 1820 and is one of the largest state-supported universities in the country.
- Originally established in 1820 as Indiana Seminary located in Bloomington
- Designated as Indiana College in 1828
- Became Indiana University in 1838
The University has core campuses in Bloomington and Indianapolis and regional campuses serving other areas of Indiana, which are located in:
- Bloomington – the flagship campus
- Indianapolis (Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis or “IUPUI” – administered by IU)*, x
- Gary (“Northwest”)
- New Albany (“Southeast”)
- Richmond (“East”)
- South Bend
- Distance Education (“IU Online” offers more than 100 online academic programs)
* The Indiana University School of Medicine has a Statewide Medical Education System, consisting of centers at Bloomington, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Gary, Indianapolis, Muncie, South Bend, Terre Haute and West Lafayette.
X IUPUI administers satellite campuses located in Columbus and Fort Wayne (located on the former Indiana University Purdue University Fort Wayne campus and shares building space with Purdue University Fort Wayne).
The University is governed by a nine-member Board of Trustees, which is empowered by Indiana statutes with policy and decision-making authority to carry out the programs and missions of the University.
- Five members are appointed by the Governor for three-year terms.
- One full-time student trustee is appointed by the Governor for a two-year term.
- Three trustees are elected by the alumni of the University for three-year terms.
- One alumnus trustee is elected each year.
- Certain officers of the Board of Trustees are not members of the board.
The following links contain specific information about the University:
By clicking the following links you will leave the Investor Disclosure website.
- Board of Trustees
- School of Medicine
- Office of the President
- Vice President for Research
For more detailed information across all areas of the University, please visit our homepage.
Posted on July 16, 2018